Sunday, March 22, 2009

I reckon--when I count at all

I reckon -- when I count at all --
First -- Poets -- Then the Sun --
Then Summer -- Then the Heaven of God --
And then -- the List is done --

But, looking back -- the First so seems
To Comprehend the Whole --
The Others look a needless Show --
So I write -- Poets -- All --

Their Summer -- lasts a Solid Year --
They can afford a Sun
The East -- would deem extravagant --
And if the Further Heaven --

Be Beautiful as they prepare
For Those who worship Them --
It is too difficult a Grace --
To justify the Dream –

Emily Dickinson

1 comment:

  1. Another praise of technology: a means of bringing poetry to the eyes, minds & hearts of a generation that grew up on heavy doses of TV sitcoms and very little fine literature. Luckily, we've still got time to start taking it all in.

    ReplyDelete