Saturday, December 4, 2010

Helen Boatwright, Celebrated Soprano, Dies at 94

“I sing opera, but I am a musician,” she told The Sheboygan Press in 2004. “I teach too many crummy kids who think they’ve got to be opera singers. Opera is such a teeny tiny part in the world of music. I don’t want to be called an opera singer.”


Helen Boatwright sang early music, concert repertoire, opera and gave world premiere performances of some works by Charles Ives. She was a musician who believed that singers had the responsiblity to perform and promote contemporary music.

See NY times obituary here.

3 comments:

  1. You think those kids she taught were "crummy" before or after they decided they wanted to sing opera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Billy, yeah, I don't know but a friend sent me this this morning. Seems like this would be a perfect video response. Fun to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video is perfect. I lived in Sheboygan. It's enough to make anyone a little grumpy.

    ReplyDelete