The great Argentinian Folk Singer, Mercedes Sosa who gave voice to South American political protest, died yesterday. She was 74. You can read more about her here.
She formed part of the New Song movement in Latin America, which combined folk song traditions with contemporary music that often featured political messages in its lyrics. She was known throughout Latin America and Europe, with one of her most popular songs titled "Gracias a la Vida," heard in the performance above.
Rest in peace.
- Gracias a la vida que me ha dado tanto
- Me dio dos luceros que cuando los abro
- Perfecto distingo lo negro del blanco
- Y en el alto cielo su fondo estrellado
- Y en las multitudes el hombre que yo amo
Translated into English:
- Thanks to life, which has given me so much
- It gave me two bright stars that when I open them,
- I perfectly distinguish the black from white
- And in the sky above, her starry backdrop
- And within the multitudes the man I love